- Service: Technology
Cutting through complexity to establish a cohesive cloud strategy
The cloud is rapidly changing the way businesses operate. From a technology perspective, the motivations for moving to the cloud – such as flexible infrastructure capacity, faster access to resources, and reduced need for on-premises hardware and software – are well established.
Decisions to move applications to the cloud should be as much, or more, about achieving business goals, such as growth, agility, speed to market, or cost optimization. Failure to base cloud migration decisions on business goals can lead to costly migration errors and wasteful cloud “sprawl".
- Can you articulate why you are adopting cloud technologies?
- Are you considering longer-term financial impacts when making cloud migration decisions?
- Do you have a unified cloud strategy that encompasses portfolios of applications, or does your organization make application architecture decisions one application at a time?
- Are your people on board for the journey to the cloud, and are they prepared to re-skill to support the transition?
- Do you have all the right elements in place to operate efficient and secure cloud or hybrid operations?
Business-driven analysis and roadmap
West Monroe draws on our uncommon blend of business acumen and deep technology skills to help you make strategic cloud decisions.
Our cloud advisory projects include these steps:
- Define business requirements – for example, accelerating time to market, increasing collaboration, or enabling growth.
- Gather application’s functional and technical requirements and use those to advance or eliminate applications from consideration. From this analysis, we produce a list of potential applications for cloud adoption and the most appropriate cloud-hosting model – software as-a-service, platform-as-a-service, infrastructure-as-a-service or others – for each.
- Validate the recommended cloud disposition for each application from a financial perspective to make sure it is not cost prohibitive.
- Assess your organization’s readiness for transition, including current IT environment, risks, processes, and cloud skills, as well as application architecture and the effort required.
- Create a consolidated financial model that incorporates the technology, people, and process changes for all applications identified for transition to the cloud. The model is both rigorous and flexible – for example, enabling us to accommodate industry-specific requirements, such as efficiency ratio for financial services organizations, as well as to evaluate alternative growth projections. Depending on your goals, the model may include long-term total cost of ownership for cloud versus keeping applications on premises which includes required capital investments in software and hardware.
- Develop a strategic roadmap for preparing your organization, creating the appropriate foundation, and transitioning identified applications over time. Our technology team is prepared to provide any support needed as you execute the roadmap.
Move rapidly to maximize the benefits of operating in the cloud
Our approach accelerates what can be a challenging and lengthy decision process. You can make complex organizational, financial, and technical decisions that are grounded in your business requirements – a perspective that makes the difference between costly trial and error and a well-executed migration plan. You can also articulate a cloud strategy in detail that resonates with your board and executive team. That’s business in the right direction.
Download the complete solution brief below.