- Industry: Energy & Utilities
For nearly 25 years, Thorne Research, Inc., has set the standard for exceptional formulations, quality, and purity in the nutritional supplement industry. Its philosophy is to provide the purest supplements possible at reasonable prices.
A solution that will enable growth.
Although Thorne Research grew from two employees to more than 120, its information technology did not scale accordingly. Rather, the company found itself with a decentralized and difficult-to-maintain workgroup consisting of standalone Apple workstations. At the same time, the company’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) system reached the limits of its operational capacity. The system was highly customized and no longer able to meet the company’s evolving needs.
With the prospect of significant growth over the coming years, Thorne Research realized that it would need to overhaul its core IT systems in order to:
- Provide the foundation upon which to build a new ERP system
- Manage and maintain client systems centrally
- Improve operations and management
An experienced partner.
For assistance, Thorne Research turned to West Monroe Partners. West Monroe Partners demonstrated a breadth of experience in implementing similar solutions, including all of the technologies and systems that Thorne Research would need to address as part of this effort. In addition, West Monroe Partners had established a reputation for quality work and service through previous projects with members of the Thorne Research Team.
New infrastructure from the ground up With the client’s goals in mind, West Monroe designed and implemented new infrastructure utilizing a complete suite of Microsoft products. By leveraging these standardized platforms, West Monroe was able to build an IT environment that is both effective for deploying a new ERP system and flexible and scalable enough to grow as the company’s needs change.
Significant savings from virtualization.
Given the rare opportunity to start from scratch, West Monroe Partners was able to design the architecture using the Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization platform to minimize the hardware and facilities investment typically associated with a significant re-build of all core IT systems:
- Thorne Research saved approximately $35,000 in hardware costs for systems that otherwise would have required physical hardware.
- The virtualization solution reduced the number of required servers, generating a significant power and cooling savings in the company’s data center.
- The company can manage, monitor, and maintain IT resources centrally, saving staff time that previously was required for manual intervention.
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008
- Active Directory
- SQL 2008 clustering
- Office Communications Server 2007
- Exchange 2007
- System Center Configuration Manager 2007
- System Center Data Protection Manager 2007
- Active Directory Certificate Services
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Microsoft Dynamics AX
- Terminal server
- Windows Vista