The client provides technology services and solutions to more than 600 financial institutions.
The client was being carved out of a larger organization and needed to rapidly establish independent IT operations from its parent company. Its strict compliance requirements as a provider or a regulated industry, along with limited internal IT staff headcount, called for a balance between security and ease of maintenance. The client reached out to West Monroe Partners to help design for a secure Azure- based infrastructure and migrate its systems into the public cloud.
Although a migration into the cloud introduced novel challenges in secure implementation, the effort also created opportunities to decrease IT overhead while maintaining similar expected levels of availability. Specifically, the client envisioned opportunities to improve its IT operations by maintaining or improving several key processes such as:
- PCI DSS compliance
- Decreased maintenance overhead compared to on-premises and co-location solutions
- More control over costs accrued by required compute instances
- Faster server deployment processes to enable on-demand adjustments of infrastructure to business needs
West Monroe’s experience designing and implementing secure IT solutions, along with its familiarity with the client’s business needs developed through previous engagements, made the firm a natural choice to facilitate a PCI- compliant deployment into the Azure cloud. The services performed by West Monroe included:
- Deployment of virtualized instances in Azure to replace existing on-premises infrastructure
- Configuration of Azure virtual networks to facilitate newly-created compute instances
- Development and implementation of security baselines on all deployed systems
- Migration of client data from on-premises facilities within designated maintenance windows
West Monroe was able to overcome the unique challenges of a cloud deployment and deliver transition services agreement (TSA) cost relief within eight months while meeting several ambitious deadlines, including:
- Separation of Internal IT infrastructure from its parent company within seven months
- Re-platform of software products to the Microsoft Azure cloud within eight months
- Full separation from its parent company within eight months