- Service: Operations Excellence
The client is a mid-market medical device company that is a national distributor of histology, cytology, and other consumable supplies. It is subject to Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulation, making product traceability important.
Bringing the benefits of new enterprise software to fruition.
West Monroe Partners assisted the client with selection of a new enterprise resource planning (ERP) and customer relationship management (CRM) solution that will transform the way the company interacts with customers and business partners; however the client lacked the knowledge and resources to implement the solution—Epicor 9’s ERP and CRM suite—on its own.
Based on their experience during the selection process, company leaders wanted a dedicated team—without distractions from daily operational responsibilities—to move the project forward, as well as expertise in designing business processes to complement the new software capabilities. In addition, the client sought to:
- Minimize customization by utilizing Epicor 9’s out-of-the-box functionality
- Comply with FDA controls
- Train users to be self-sufficient
- Ensure a seamless transition for all business partners, including customers, suppliers, and third-party warehouses
- Develop complete documentation of requirements, designs, processes, test scripts, and project management tools
West Monroe Partners demonstrated deep knowledge of business process re-engineering, packaged software, and project management during the selection process—experience that the client’s leaders considered essential to the decision and, more importantly, to the successful transformation to come.
Supporting three essential roles.
West Monroe guided the client through the ERP and CRM development and implementation, playing three key roles:
- Program management—West Monroe combined the vendor’s plan with its own implementation best practices, including detailed functional and technical requirements and design documentation, more rigorous testing, and extensive end-user training. West Monroe also managed communications, plans, risks, issues, and vendors so that the project sponsor could focus on critical issues.
- Application configuration—the project team completed application configuration and data conversion to meet program deadlines, while at the same time transferring knowledge that enables the client’s resources to “own” the system going forward.
- Change management—A system is useless if its users don’t understand and adopt both the technology and corresponding business processes. To ensure all users were ready for a new way of doing business on “day one,” West Monroe developed role-specific user and training manuals, trained the client’s trainers, and led internal and external communications so that all business partners were aware of their roles in the transformation.
The new system and processes have delivered the data transparency the company needed for fast decision making, FDA compliance, robust material requirements planning, effective customer relationship management, integration with major carriers, and much more.