MB Financial Bank, N.A., provides customer-driven financial solutions to privately held, middle-market businesses as well as to small businesses and individuals who work and live in the communities it serves. With $8.4 billion in assets, MB Financial has grown substantially over the past several years.
From static site to SharePoint solution.
To enhance collaboration among its staff and manage documents effectively across its growing network, MB Financial sought to establish a new SharePoint based portal. By replacing its HTML-based intranet, the bank hoped to improve:
- Access to key forms and process documentation
- Search capabilities
- Organization of information
- Ability to update content in a timely manner
- Look and feel to reflect current branding
- Flexibility for managing and adding to the site over time
Based on its experience with an older version of SharePoint in one department, the bank recognized that a robust Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 solution could address many of its goals. For assistance, the bank turned to West Monroe Partners, which offered extensive SharePoint development expertise, along with strong document and knowledge management capabilities to help the bank design and execute the portal to meet its business goals and its users’ needs.
A step toward enhanced knowledge management.
West Monroe Partners worked with MB Financial’s project steering committee and departmental user groups to identify and prioritize business requirements. Based on the information gathered during this discovery process, the project team applied its SharePoint product knowledge to design and then build a prototype solution that incorporates key features requested by various user groups.
The portal features and benefits include:
- Improved search features, such as highlighted terms in the search results, a “wildcard” feature that guesses the name of an individual as the user begins to type a name into the “people search” field, and the ability to search for content by department
- Targeted news and announcements by location and department—a feature that not only enables users to find relevant and timely information, but also allows the bank to reduce e-mail volume
- Alerts for critical events such as system outages
- Improved navigation, information architecture, foundational taxonomy, and meta data structures for categorizing documents
- A formal content governance model that defines which users can publish content or make changes
The bank is preparing to pilot the portal in September. In addition to supporting MB Financial with design and development, West Monroe Partners also has helped the bank create a communication plan designed to re-establish the bank’s portal as its key internal communication channel—a key step in its strategy to enhance document and knowledge management.