Aging SONET-based infrastructure can drive up costs and present delivery challenges. Consider:
The West Monroe difference
- Does your utility typically build out backhaul for telecommunications needs?
- Do you require use of legacy protocols (DS0, RS-232 serial, 2W/4W E&M) for connectivity to RTUs and other substation devices?
- Do you operate multiple purposebuilt networks in order to serve business units’ needs?
- Are you looking for an alternative to public-carrier circuits, such as analog and 64K circuits, that have been or will be retired?
If your utility owns its private telecom network or is looking to build out or expand, West Monroe Partners can help.
Combining deep smart-grid experience with SONET, IP/MPLS, MPLS-TP, and Carrier Ethernet knowledge and networking skills, our team helps utilities not only conceptualize the network, but also design, implement, deploy, and manage it.
While some vendors focus primarily on technology, we take a much broader view that addresses people, process, and technology considerations that drive success. Most importantly, we’ve done this before with some of the nation’s largest utilities.
From assessment to ongoing support
Our experienced team can drive migration—from business and design to ongoing support:
- Understand current network use cases and services/users supported
- Apply our Telecom Maturity modeling and business case development capabilities to define services to be supported in the future
- Design a transport network that satisfies the utility’s technical, functional, and security requirements—whether it is IP/ MPLS, Carrier Ethernet, or MPLS-TP
- Coordinate with organizational stakeholders, such as System Operating and IT Security, to determine site acceptance criteria and how to demonstrate it
- Migrate services and end devices from the old network to the new network without major telemetry interruptions
- Document current business processes and update to reflect impacts of new technology
- Augment vendor-supplied training and deliver training to technicians and other applicable personnel to ensure successful operational turnover
- Run and maintain the network through our Performance Services solutions
That’s business in the right direction.