- Industry: Banks & Credit Unions
Recent news highlighted the US banking industry’s record earnings during the first quarter of 2013 (“US 1Q Bank Profits up 15.8 Percent,” Associated Press, May 29, 2013). The report noted that quarterly earnings reached $40.3 billion, a new record and an increase of nearly 16 percent over the prior year. From this and other indicators, it would seem the banking industry is well into recovery from the Great Recession.
As you dig into these numbers, though, it quickly becomes apparent that the top few large banks are really driving this earnings growth, and only half of all banks reported increased earnings over the previous year. In short, banks continue to face significant issues as lending remains flat and the competition for non-interest income grows.
The industry is seeking new ideas and creative ways to meet customer needs and grow income. In this newsletter, we look at several topics that we see as driving and enabling growth for banks large and small:
- Building the right technology environment to enable high customer, business, and IT satisfaction
- Developing internal capabilities that help your bank to navigate complex change successfully
- Responding to small and middle-market businesses’ growing needs for international financial services
- Jumping into the opportunity-rich mobile payments market
Combining a unique mix of industry leadership and hands-on banking experience, we are working with banks every day on approaches; such as those above, that:
- Capture new revenue sources and boost organic growth
- Improve efficiency
- Produce competitive advantage through mergers and acquisitions
We are more than happy to discuss any challenges or issues facing you today, and the steps necessary to advance your most critical initiatives. Just let us know how we can help!